Donnerstag, 12. September 2013

Kapital 1

For this assignment I was tasked with reading a dense brochure titled 'How German is American?" This writing is about how American and German culture are so tightly intertwined. More American's are of German descent than any other nation, and I myself am proof of this as both sides of my family are of German descent. I found it very interesting that when Germans emigration to American they moved to the upper Midwest because the region is the most similar to their home nation - thus earning the term as America's "German Belt." This fact is not surprising to me either as I grew up near Frankenmuth, Michigan - a German modeled town and grew up around many people of German descent. 

In total, in the year 200, 42.8 million Americans identified themselves as being o f German ancestry - roughly 15 percent of the total American population. Although in most cases Germans were not the first Europeans to settle on the American frontier. For example the French were the first to settle in Wisconsin, but the Germans quickly outnumbers these French settlers. All in all the sheer number of Germans in the U.S. is a huge reason as to why the two societies are so greatly entangled. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.