Donnerstag, 12. September 2013
Kultur 1 Jake Prosyniuk
I thought the brochure was interesting because it brought attention to facts I was unaware of and addressed a silent identity crisis in America. I didn't know that Irish Americans are outnumbered by German Americans; even after growing up in the so-called "German Belt,"I have never felt a large German American presence. I thought it was interesting that many Germans originally moved to the upper midwest because it resembles the parts of Germany they're from. I also thought it was interesting that American businessmen with stakes in Wisconsin thought to print migration pamphlets in German just to bring immigrants in and increase business. I also think it peculiar that many Germans are fascinated by American Indian culture, so much so that there's around 200 "Indian clubs" in Germany. One mark of German influence that I never even realized existed was eating hot dogs and pretzels and drinking beer at the ballpark. I'm glad to hear that German is so widely used in Europe and even in America. I think it's interesting that Germans greet each other differently depending on the situation, but the book is wrong to say that Americans typically only greet each other with "Hello."
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.