Donnerstag, 12. September 2013

Kultur 1- The Amish and Food!

While reading "How German is American?," there were several areas that caught my attention. The section that caught my attention was the section about the different cultures Germans brought to America. The Older Order Amish culture is the particular culture that stuck in my mind the most because there is a heavy Amish influence in the regions to the south of my home town of Battle Creek. Like the reading said, their culture has remained relatively untouched by outside cultures. When you drive through their community, you see that this is very true. There are no power lines, cars, tractors, power tools, etc. They speak their native language and they drive the buggies, so I've been living around a heavily German influenced area and I never realized it!

The second part I enjoyed from the reading was the section about food. I love food, and apparently I love German influenced food. There are so many food that I eat regularly that are german: bologna, franks, brats, and different types of sausage. Though these are not 100% German they still have that German influence and that is surprising to me.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.