One of my favorite guilty pleasures is Wiki Crack, or in other words surfing the Wikipedia website. For this AMD, I decided to try surfing the German Wikipedia. The first thing that I tried to do was make sense of the main page. I thought it was really cool that I could translate "Hauptseite" as main page with the help of the German that I have learned so far ("Haupt-" from "Hauptfach," and academic major, and "Seite" is a word that we use all the time in class). I noticed that the page confirmed a stereotype of the German language: there are lots of VERY long words. There was a box that I had never seen before on the German main page that said "Kürzlich Verstorbene." Although I did not know what it meant at first, I eventually pieced together from the persons listed in the box that "Kürzlich Verstorbene" is the German equivalent of "Recently Deceased." It was a feature that I never saw on the English Wikipedia, or at least never had a whole section devoted to deaths. It seemed a little morbid.
After the main page, I searched for University of Michigan because of school spirit. I quickly found out that our school name was translated as "Universität Michigan." The page's most recent statistics were for 2012. I found that I could read most of the summary at the top of the article by piecing together all of the German I have at my disposal and using cognates. The page summarized U of M pretty well and there were lots of pictures. Finally, the very last section of the page mentioned that U of M has a partnership with a university in Tübingen. I immediately thought of Anna Adler from Vorsprung.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.