Dienstag, 19. November 2013

Kultur 5

The Kultur readings are always great at getting me to take a look at different aspects of German life that one would not necessarily think of as being different.  From the non-apologetic atmosphere on the streets to the statistics of women in Germany, it's interesting to see where our cultures differ, and what commonalities the two have.  I feel that American's have a built in default, "I'm sorry... Excuse me" response, even when they don't mean it.  Germans, as I understand from a culmination of all the articles I've read, are just honest. 

Honesty may not always apply though, especially in the case of flirting.  As a male, I don't have the best flirting abilities, but to not show any advances other than a prolonged glance seems even a bit strange to me.  I would at least want to know if someone had an interest in me, rather than just seeing them stare in my direction, possibly at someone else.

Were that to occur, I would be sure to take some change when I awkwardly leave to go to the restroom, so that I could tip the Klofrau.  This is a concept I'm somewhat aware of, as I work at a county fair back home, where attendants maintain the bathrooms and ask for tips, although I rarely do tip.  Hearing the perspective of the Klofrau has made me think twice about not dropping a few coins in the collection bowl next time I see one.

I love the openness about German sex shops. I find it amusing that Germans are so much more open about intimacy. It's true that if a young man in America were to even buy a few intimate items from the grocery store, he's sure to get a few looks or have others insinuate things about him.   But according to the article, Germans are more open about sex and intimacy, especially in their colorful and large displays described in the article.

The statistics about women were not all that surprising to me, as they seem to closely relate to America's as I understand them, such as women making less money and similar statistics.

In the text readings, I enjoyed learning about Hamburg. It sounds like an interesting town, full of activity.  I would love to visit the oldest oper Haus in Germany!! I also find the use of "you" in other languages interesting.  In English, we have one connotation, for both formal and informal.  However, in all languages I have studied (French, Italian and German) there is a difference.  I find it very interesting that Germans distinguish between close friends (of which one may have a few) by using "du" and acquaintances by continuing to use "Sie".  The more you know, eh?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.